Software Engineering 7893 Controller Preliminary Design
Due 1700 (5 p.m.) Friday June 27, 2003
The high-level design will outline your main design ideas and document the
main classes and packages for your controller. You are to submit a hard
copy (i.e., printed on paper and bound or stapled) design document to my
office by the deadline above. You may also include a electronic forms of the
document on disk or CD but this will be viewed as supplementary material, not
part of the main design document.
The format of the design document is up to you, but it is expected to contain
the following information.
- A hierarchy of packages, classes, and interfaces for your controller.
- Relationships between the components (UML class diagrams with annotations
on the relationships are recommended):
- Client-of (dependency).
- A discussion (perhaps augmented by sequence, collaboration, or activity
diagrams) outlining how the components interact to accomplish the
- For each class, package, or interface
- The service it provides to the other classes, or packages, or the
- Its secret.
- Cardinality (0, 1, many)
- Public interface:
- A description of the class's abstract states (i.e., what does it
- A list of public methods (optionally including signatures and pre/post
conditions). If it isn't completely clear from the name what the method does
then you should include a brief description of its behaviour.
- A list of other public entities.
Back to 7893 homepage
Wed 2003.06.25 at 13:30 NDT
by Dennis Peters