GEOTECHNICAL ENGINEERING II EN6723
Shear strength of soil: Mohr-Coulomb failure criterion, shear strength of sands and
clays, shear strength measurement, stress paths.
Lateral earth pressure: horizontal stresses in soil, Rankines and
Coulombs theories of earth pressure, effects of groundwater, applications to earth
Soil bearing capacity: ultimate bearing capacity equations, effects of groundwater,
factor of safety, applications to shallow foundations.
Slope stability: factor of safety, infinite slopes with and without seepage,
stability of finite slopes: plane and circular failure surfaces, methods of slices,
effects of groundwater.
- B.M. Das, "Principles of Geotechnical Engineering", 5th Edition,
Prindle, Weber and Schmidt, 2002.
- J.E. Bowles, "Engineering Properties of Soils and Their Measurement",
- Wolff, T.E. "Spreadsheet applications in geotechnical engineering", PWS, 1995
- R.D. Holtz and W.D. Kovacz, "An Introduction to Geotechnical Engineering",
- T.W. Lambe and R.V. Whitman, "Soil Mechanics" (SI Edition), John Wiley &
- McCarthy, D.F. "Essentials of soil mechanics and foundations, 5th
Edition, Prentice Hall, 1998.